Re: Is it legal for me to do that?

Darrin Chandler (boo@stilyagin.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:30:05 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 papiraki@kdb.ml.org wrote:

> So, I was woundering, since this IS a huge task, how much am I
> allowed t o use Linux sources as a tool to accomplish this task? And
> if I do, should I tel l anyone about it? And, if I use the sources,
> and modifie them to complie with p c-xinu, what comments, and what
> documentation should I add to the final product?

Just GPL your derivative works and the license issues should be fine. I
think.

So why pick Linux rather than *BSD, or Minix, or whatever? If you can give
good technical answers to that, then you have learned something. And
that's the purpose of the class, right? Just grabbing Linux code because
you like Linux is taking the easy way out of the problem. You may even
find that something other than Linux fits better with pc-xinu!

And I would make the origin of the sources very clear, and document the
reasons I chose those sources over others.

Darrin