Re: Exit from linux Kernel back to dos.

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:12:38 +1300

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 01:25:02PM +0000, Kenny Thomas wrote:

> I am working on a project where I would like to be able to load up
> a minimum linux kernel with a small ramdisk similer to what is used
> for install puposes. But I need to be able to shutdown linux and
> return back to dos without rebooting. Is this possible, practical
> or remotely doable?

Technically doable -- but probably quite nontrivial.

You would have to store all the hardware settings (as they were) when
linux inits and restore them after wards -- you would also have to do
the right thing wrt any hardware in the system.

Right now, drivers only have a concept of init -- no deinit, so I
think its going to be a lot of work.

btw, NetWare does this.

-cw