Re: NFS ...

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:17:51 +0100

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 02:53:52AM +0000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Kurt Garloff wrote:
>
> > * Small network with diskless clients (X-Terminals), 2.0.36, userspace nfs
> > server, root and swap on NFS work quite okay. Sometimes one of the clients
>
> Swap on NFS does not work OK. It might seem to, but in general it cannot
> be done -- basically NFS can require abrbitrary resources not always
> (often/ever) available when swapping.

I used a patch to allow swapping via NFS.
I does work fine enough. But maybe the occasional client crashes are due to
your objections ...
This should show up in the logs however?

> > crashes (every few weeks), but I never tracked that down, as they can be
> > rebooted by the users. So I don't know if this is NFS related.
>
> A familiar problem. "Was that machine rebooted spontaneously, because it
> crashed, because someone wanted Windog, because of a power failure.. etc?"
>
> Let me know if you solve it :)

I see really no possibility to find the reason. If the logs are clean and I
know that it was no power failure, I really don't know. After all these are
just used as X-Terminals and run stable enough to do serious work, so I
don't care too much. I only see that while the server has 200+ days uptime,
the terminals only have a couple of weeks, each. And it's much better like
that than the other way round!
(There might also the users be rebooting the terminals, I don't check the
logs regularily. I don't know if it's because they are wanting to boot
windog, but they will in no case be successful, unless they open the
computer's case and remove the boot EPROM from the network cards and insert
a boot floppy then.)

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de>  (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff

There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in other words, I can implement this XXXX feature, but I bet someone else has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon... [From a posting of Tigran Aivazian to linux-kernel, XXXX = disk stat]