Re: mv command wierdness. (error in VFS?)

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:50:13 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcin Dalecki <dalecki@cs.net.pl>
To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input) <unlisted-recipients:; (no
To-header on input)>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 10:04 AM
Subject: mv command wierdness. (error in VFS?)

>Just recently I have noticed a quite interresting thing:
>
>I have just moved an backup version of a file in an compilation tree
>over the orignal:
>
> mv backup.c~ backup.c
>
>That's nothing special of course. However the interresting thing
>was that make didn't notice this at all. In esp. it didnt notice this
>as a change to backup.c and didn't therefore any recompilation work.
>I would suspect that in this case the modification time of the
>inode corresponding to backup.c~ didn't get updated.
>
>Is this correct behaviour?

If I remember correctly make does actually detect a change in the time
stamp. Instead it compares the time stamp of the dependant files with the
file produced by an operation. Thus since backup.c~ is older than the
backup.o (or whatever file you produce) that file is not remade. make
assumes that no change has been made.