Re: pgcc optimizationss

Petko Manolov (petkan@varel.bg)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:19:14 +0200

--------------7F34EF92AFEB469DF177984B

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> Yeah, sure, but mentioning "it works fine with -O6" makes less-skilled
> people use it, with sometimes bad results ;)

You are right of cource. But everybody has a head on his shoulders to think with
;-)
I only share information that hopefully can be used for bug fixes. This list is
not for
amateurs ;-))

> I hope Linus applies bug-fixes, yes ;)

AFAIK Linus thinks egcs guys silently changed some concepts in inline asm
(clobber list) and now they are blaming the kernel. I can't say who is right but
it's obvious
gcc and pgcc produced different inline asm code. I'm pretty sure they shouldn't
;-)

> Optimizations often interact with each other in subtle ways. Most(!)
> of the bugs I find are caused by bugs in egcs that only come
> apperent in some later optimization.

I'm afraid i didn't understand this.

> But egcs is getting better with each second, it even does hard register
> flow analysis now ;)
>
> Lets hope egcs makes a better gcc sooner than later!

Right, I like pgcc and I wish to see it stable.

--
Petko Manolov - petkan@varel.bg
http://www.varel.bg/~petkan/

--------------7F34EF92AFEB469DF177984B Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit