Re: LS-120 Formatting?

Alex Butche (linkern@cocoa.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:04:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, SethMeister G. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've checked the dox, but cannot seem to find a utility to format LS-120
> floppy disks (either 1.44 or 120M). Has someone modified fdformat to do
> this? I didn't see any ioctl code in the IDE floppy driver to even
> support formatting media, or did I miss it?

My guess is that seeing as the LS-120 is an ATAPI device, you probably want
to modify a low-level SCSI formatter to do the job for you. Once you've
LL formatted it, just chuck a filesystem on it, be it FAT or ext2fs.

Look for scsifmt.lsm and you'll find my low-level SCSI formatter that I
wrote for Zip drives. I believe that ATAPI even uses the same command
numbers, but failing that, you could always try using the ide-scsi emulation
in the kernel... :)

> Thanks,

Alex (only uses ATAPI for a CD-ROM, so all that was guesses...)