Re: fbdev and S3 chips

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:37:50 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Simon Kenyon wrote:

> On 19-Dec-98 Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > Yes, it is possible - S3 has available on their web site a program called
> > s3vbe20.exe that will load a VESA 2.0 BIOS onto the card - works like a
> > charm on my S3 Virge. I've used it successfully with the vesafb
> > driver+loadlin.
> could this not be done like some of the soundcards
> just download the bios using a special ioctl
> then no dos required to boot linux (which kind of sticks in my thoat)
It probably could - the sticky point would be getting the BIOS data that
needs to be downloaded. (I assume you're talking about IBM's Mwave sound
cards in their thinkpads, right? In that case, a DOS program simply
instructs the Mwave what to emulate. AFAIK, of course :-))

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam! Visit http://www.cauce.org