Re: The saga continues as my computer continues to misbehave!

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:03:18 +0000 ( )

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > through the BIOS boot up screen. My gosh, its crashed! I start worying
> > that I was hacked. When it boots, its able to get al the way through
> > single user stage and I am sighing with relief. Then it reboots. Just
> > after "Initializing random number generator" or something, it switches to
> > runlevel 6.
>
> Check for overheating.

Doesn't seem to be a problem... I took off the cover and aired it a
little and it doesn't seem to make a difference. This is a Cyrix 6x86MX
chip that wroked fine for its first few hours of operation withuot a fan
until I realized what this little black thing teathered by two wires was
supposed to do ;-).

I find it hard to believe that this could be a hardware problem if I can
switch to multiuser mode fine a second after it has booted into runlevel
1.

This is a RedHat 5.1 box. I'm thinking that maybe my init scripts are
screwed up and are trying to switch to runlevel 6 instead of runlevel
three. Which script initiates the switch (on bootup) from runlevel 1 to
runlevel 3? Would it be safe to use telinit 3 there to do exactly what I
am doing manualy now?