Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:48:04 -0500

In message <m0zrb27-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:

> > Doesn't IBM own patents on things like shared copy-on-write and other
> > techniques used in the Linux kernel?
>
> Techniques like that are so old they should have lapsed a long time ago.

I thought about that, but didn't know when that particular technique
was patented.

> IBM is a large company however and like several other large US companies
> they patent anything that they think they can get away with.

Well, I'm glad to know that no other countries have companies that
do that... :/

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x