Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:27:36 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>>> IBM needs a way to tightly bind a patent license to the source code.
>>> Without that, they are afraid to contribute. IBM might even want to
>>> specifically tie patents to Linux. (not also gcc, HURD, emacs...)
>>
>> Then we don't need/want anything from IBM. Let them die a slow
>> death after Microsoft's own slow death from W2K.
>
>IBM gets thousands of patents every year. They have the one needed
>for strong JPEG compression and the original (better) bzip. Oh yes,
>we really do need things from IBM.
>
>It would be really stupid to not consider making them comfortable.
>Maybe they would want too much, but at least we ought to be willing
>to consider making a deal. They might just want less ambiguity.

IBM is a commercial entity. They have commercial interests. The
license of GPL software cannot and willnot change. There are
some provisions for change of license, but most software is
impossible to change license on due to the immense number of
authors, and patch authors. This large number almost nails the
GPL permanently in. I think this is good.

GNU/FSF, Linux and other free software got where it is on its own
merits. bzip2 is fine AFAIC. I'm not willing to give up
anything from Linux or freedom to get bzip or strong JPEG
compression. THe existing JPEG compression is horrible in any
form IMHO anyways. I'm sure there are thousands of other
patents, but frankly I don't care. If something becomes popular,
and is desired by the masses, someone will implement a free
version sooner or later. The domino effect of free software has
only just begun.

There are ways around some patents, and a surefire way around a
patent that there isn't a way around is to create a new standard,
or similar algorithm, etc.. that is NOT the same as the patented
one. PNG is an example of this. The day Linux or GNU gives up
freedom is the day I stop using it.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net