Re: Should raw I/O be added to the kernel?

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 07:12:48 -0700

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 10:56:48PM -0800, Ronald Cole wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
> >The only argument for raw disk IO is the caching policy issue
>
> Exactly right. Without raw disk IO, you couldn't guarantee a database
> to always be in a consistent state on the disk (i.e. it isn't very
> desirable to have a committed transaction in a cache when the pc loses
> power). It makes it impossible to recover the database. And what

So you better not use any drive or controller that does any buffering or
reordering. Don't confuse mechanism and policy.

Victor Yodaiken
Department of Computer Science
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Socorro NM 87801
Homepage http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~yodaiken
PowerPC Linux page http://linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu
Real-Time Page http://rtlinux.org