Re: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:07:51 +0100

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 01:33:17PM +0100, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Chris Evans wrote:
>
> [1]
> > > There is also the fact that raw io for databases IS faster. Whatever type
> > > filesystem you design, doesn't matter since we know which blocks to write
>
> [2]
> > Well from Linus' comments it sounds like raw devices won't be appearing in
> > 2.3, or indeed, ever.
>
> well, my interpretation is that [2] was said only because [1] is false. So
> the rest of your conclusions are false too.

I have yet to see a single set of data supporting this claim. I have seem LOTS
of data indication that the opposite might be true.

I wonder why people who obviously know nothing about day-to-day operation of
databases feel so driven to make these unproven claims.

Yours,
Dominik Kubla

--
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.  Any official