Re: core files (was Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:43:48 -0500 (EST)

Horst H. von Brand writes:
> "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> said:

>> Long term, I think the whole core file idea needs to be tossed in
>> favor of just starting a debugger.
>
> Obviously also paging the party responsible for the crashed program. Using
> some random vt for the task when a daemon crashes, too, I suppose?

If crash handler registered
stop the task and notify a registered user-space handler,
else
dump core.

Crash handlers could be per-UID. They could listen on a device or
expect real-time (why call it that?) signals with data attached.
They could be full graphical GNOME apps that look up the maintainer
in an RPM database and offer to mail a form letter. The process
could be kept alive, which is more useful than a core. Someone with
a clue would get a chance to start up ddd on a live process, with
all the network connections intact.

Core files just aren't likely to generate useful bug reports.
Maybe 1% of the time someone submits a proper report.