Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux (follow-up

Bob Taylor (brtaylor@inreach.com)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:51:36 -0800

In message <199812212317.RAA10872@duracef.shout.net>, Michael Elizabeth Chastai
n writes:
cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

[snip]

> IBM is not looking for a license that permits them to hoard their code.
> They are looking for accommodation so that they can distribute Linux but
> not surrrender all their patenent rights everywhere.

As far as I know, not being a lawyer, there is no connection between IBM's
patent(s) and the GPL. IBM has the right to license the use of their
patent(s) to whomever they wish for whatever compensation they wish.
Obviously, all IBM has to do is license Linux. So what's their *real*
problem?

> Of course this accommodation is a cost for Linux, not a benefit.
> The point is to trade it for something that *is* a benefit to Linux.

Only if a trade is *necessary*.

[snip]

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com            |
| Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a     |
| swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you   |
| can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell  |
| if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|