Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:42:05 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

> PS. Whot does this have in common with the inner workings of the
> Linux kernel?
>
> All the detailed questions about the inner workings of Linux would be
> of no importance to anyone, if we did not have an operating system to
> use it in. And that operating system was developed for idealistic
> reasons.
>
> Freedom includes the right to sneer at freedom; no one can force you
> to care about anything. But that won't change the fact that the
> idealism you despise is the reason why your operating system exists,
> and the reason why it is free software. And the system is likely to
> remain free, only as long as people who care about their freedom make
> the effort to keep it free.

Hey guy can You imagin the following situation:

I don't care whatever linux is free or not or whatever, as long, as long
it is reasonable affordable for me. In fact about $50 for a desktop os
seems OK to me. I'm using Linux for technical and not political reasons.
And I don't care about you needing to get some ego points by renaming it
to GNU/Linux. The GNU project has started with the intent to provide
it's
own kernel compleatly independant from the FSF. In fact at the beginning
the Copyright text wasn't even the same...

So the situation is the following:

1. X11 doesn't came out of the FSF.

2. TeX doesn't came out of the FSF.

3. Linux-kernel doesn't came out of the FSF.

4. Lots of utility programms only got assimilated by the FSF and not
written by them or in esp. You.

5. KDE/Qt doesn't came out of the FSF.

6. Netscape doesn't came out of the FSF.

and many many others, which shurely account for most of the code beeing
run
on my system. Therefore calling it GNU/Linux in esp. that order is just
a lie.

Marcin

PS. BTW. Still the question remains: Whot does this have to do with the
linux kernel's developement?