Re: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 05:46:48 -0500

Shail Bains wrote:

> 1. How does writing zeroes or random bytes three times help more than writing
> zero/random bytes ONCE? One could be concerned about some parts of the
> file_to_be_deleted being in core, but I can't comprehend how writing zeros
> thrice can take care of this.

Supposedly it is posible to read 1 or 2 'layers' down of what WAS written on
the disk. Don't ask me to explain this...it's only what I've read.

If you have shit so 'bad' on your drive that you're concerned about this,
don't screw around and wipe the drive with a blow torch. (disasmble and
destroy.)

--
http://www.linkscape.net/       Linkscape Internet Services   732-541-4214
http://www.linuxrouter.org/     Linux Router Project