Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:44:24 -0500

In message <19981222232405.A7171@hexagon>, Nimrod Zimerman writes:

> RSA is patented under U.S. Patent 4,405,829, issued September 29, 1983
> and held by RSA Data Security, Inc.; the patent expires 17 years after
> issue, in the year 2000. RSA Data Security has a standard,
> royalty-based licensing policy, which can be modified for special
> circumstances. The U.S. government can use RSA without a license
> because it was invented at MIT with partial government funding.

Well let's see... our taxes PAID for that government funding, so
by exention it seems like the US taxpayer should be able to use it
as well. And since, technically, we paid for it, we should be able
to give it to our friends abroad... :)

Just musing about how I can't have the majority of the items I have
bought with my money...

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x