Re: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?

Steve VanDevender (stevev@efn.org)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:50:15 -0800 (PST)

Dave Cinege writes:
> thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:
> > Are there advantages in having something like /dev/repeat?
>
> Actually yes, I'd liek that more. (And could have used it quite a few times.)

Anyone who thinks /dev/one or /dev/~zero or /dev/repeat is
something that needs to be implemented to fill a great need must
be embarrassingly unfamiliar with basic UNIX utilities. It is
laughably easy to get what you want several different ways (many
of them quite efficient) without any changes to the kernel
whatsoever and using tools you already have. If you've been
missing this feature it's because you didn't know where to look.

while :
do
echo -n "whatever the hell you want "
done | whatever needs a repeated sequence of bytes