Re: Kernel 2.1.132 bug/success report

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 21:29:28 -0500

In message <19981224162036.B23512@matty.tsa>, Matthew Hawkins writes:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, C S Hendrix wrote:
>
> > * ...which is that sometimes sockets seem... slow, for want of a
> > better way to put it. Specifically, sending mail is very slow now.
> > Both mail clients and sendmail seem to use a LOT of CPU now when
> > doing SMTP, whereas in the past I could not have even measured
> > it for a single message. strace shows a lot of socket calls,
> > some failing
>
> I have had similar problems. They started sometime after 2.1.131ac11
> and still exist now in vanilla 2.1.132. First I noticed X11 running
> slower than a herd of bored pigs chasing tiger slugs. I have a 4Mb

Actually, X11 on my system zips along.

But there is definitely something wrong with 2.1.132.

To recap:

* x11amp broke
* SMTP is very slow
* other machines on my network cannot talk to Linux 2.1.132

Today I installed the new OpenBSD 2.4 on my Alphastation (Linux
refuses to run) and had the CD mounted on my Linux machine running
the 2.1.132 kernel. The BSD machine was unable to contact the
Linux machine. _ONE_ time it managed an ftp connection long enough
to get a list of packages, and that was it.

Going back to 2.1.124 and the BSD install worked fine and the machines
are talking just fine.

I have a cheap NE2000 PCI in the Linux machine, but it has always
worked fine before.

> Oh, and TCP/IP is only slightly faster than X. I'm getting 157kB/s
> _max_ - that was scp'ing (without compression) 80Mb worth of data from
> the server box across the room, on the local ether. Normally I can
> get at _least_ three times that out of my poor old PCI ne2k.

I didn't test TCP since I couldn't even talk to my BSD machine
earlier. I'm spending most of my time with family at the moment
so it might be a couple of days, though holidays tend to get me
bored... :)

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x