Re: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?

Durandal@t-online.de
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 21:59:30 +0100

> From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 21:40:51 -0400
> Subject: Re: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?

> As I said before, there is _nothing_ in /dev/random that the application
> itself can't do, so this is at the very least a waste of a system call. Not
> exactly efficient.
You would loose the entropy pool feature; at least you wouldn't have
access to good random sources such as interrupts.

> > One use would be for low level file (device) acesss as mentioned in the
> > 'wipe' thread. Compounding two pipes, to strip 4,000,000,000 line feeds,
> > from using the 'yes' | 'tr' is slow and sloppy. It also assumes both
> > commands are actually available.
>
> They are available on every Unixy system I know. If not, you can cobble
> something up using the shell (a while loop + echo). Or you do have some
> compiler at hand, so you can write a C (or whatever) proggie, using
> random(3) as needed.
I don't know where one would need random to implement a /dev/repeat.
If you are refering to /dev/random, random(3) doesn't give you random
numbers that are nearly the same quality as the /dev/random version
(that's why they call it pseudo-random).

<man 3 random>
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback
random number generator employing a default table of size
31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random num-
bers in the range from 0 to RAND_MAX.
</man 3 random>

RFC 1750 is enlightening. Especially "6.2 Non-Hardware Sources of
Randomness" as it deals with the randomness provided by standard hardware.

1750 Randomness Recommendations for Security. D. Eastlake, 3rd, S.
Crocker & J. Schiller. December 1994.

Regards,

Georg

--