Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
27 Dec 1998 09:41:10 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.A32.4.05.9812271030360.39408-100000@stud2.tuwien.ac.at>
By author: Peter-Paul Witta <e9525748@student.tuwien.ac.at>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
>
> > > IMHO, the only way for you to go is to grab a couple cheapo
> > > NE2000 network cards and some coax and a few terminators. I get
> > > 750kbps or so out of mine. Works great.
>
> hmmm... there are smc ethercard 16 that have a "turbo mode". it works and
> gets raw ftp up to 1100 kbyte/sec.
>
> i got mine for ATS 250,-- (for both including terminators, T-adaptors
> and 5 meters of cable, thats less than 20 usd.)

For two hosts, you can use 10Base-T or 100Base-TX cards without a hub
using a crossover cable, as well. It's a lot less messy than coax,
and support for coax is going the way of the dodo. Of course, coax
won't do 100 Mbit/s at all.

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key