Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

dlang@diginsite.com
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 06:00:15 -0800

The problem is that under the GPL, one something is out i GPL it is out, the origionator cannot restrict it in any way. If something is patented and then put in a GPL program, any other GPL program now has the right to use it.

David Lang

shendrix@escape.widomaker.com wrote:
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 00:20:54 -0500

In message <y7rd857fyih.fsf@sytry.doc.ic.ac.uk>, David Wragg writes:

OK... so again, has anyone asked ever asked the patent owners about
this? Just curious. I mean, if I knew how to make the changes to
gcc, I'd just ask them to release the patent or grant an exemption
for all GPL software, or whatever would be the best way to handle it.

I am still confused about section 7 of the GPL which doesn't
explicitely say you can't use patented code and seems to say it's
OK if the patent owner agrees to free distribution.

I know there is an earlier section of the GPL saying patents should
be freed but that seems more like discussion while the numbered
sections are the guts.

> This just goes to show that 17 years is too long for a software patent
> in an active research field. By the time it expires, its value is
> purely historical, thus the patent system has achieved nothing.

Yeah, well now it's 20 years, and the patent grants don't seem
to be slowing down.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?