Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 23:23:27 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
To: Mike A. Harris <mharris@ican.net>
Cc: DAVID BALAZIC <david.balazic@uni-mb.si>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, December 27, 1998 4:40 AM
Subject: Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

>"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@ican.net> said:
>
>[...]
>
>> IMHO, the only way for you to go is to grab a couple cheapo
>> NE2000 network cards and some coax and a few terminators. I get
>> 750kbps or so out of mine. Works great.
>
>True. But don't go too cheap, there are NE2000 clones that hang Linux (or
>at least used to).
>--

I have yet to see this, unless a something else on the system is conflicting
with a resource that the ne2000 wants. Actually its Win95 that I have seen
hang slightly upon boot up using ne2000, for some reason it takes it a
couple of minutes to fully initialize its network occasionally with some
ne2000 cards. However, I have seen those same adapters work flawlessly
under linux.