Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:22:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> >For two hosts, you can use 10Base-T or 100Base-TX cards without a hub
> >using a crossover cable, as well. It's a lot less messy than coax,
> >and support for coax is going the way of the dodo. Of course, coax
> >won't do 100 Mbit/s at all.
> >
> > -hpa
>
> Problem with the crossover cable is that it only works for two machines.
> While coax may not be the latest and greatest it definately works perfectly
> well for many if not most people, providing you do not have a large number
> of machines on the network.

Well the subject does say 'two hosts'. Furthermore, I think that unless
you get refuse for free, a hub and cables and 10/100 cards is cheaper then
thinnet and tees and terms and crap ne2000 cards. The cross cable solution
scales well. (two 10 + hub/cards/cables = many 10. Two 100 + h/c/c = many
10 or with a slightly more expensive hub = many 100.)..