Re: ASUS CD ROM 340 & 2.1.129+ dont work but work fine with 2.0.35+

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 02:17:51 +0100

Alan Cox wrote:
> > I had installed dos drivers for asus (but works with all atapi drivers ??
> > it worked with my old atapi goldstarcd driver and ibmcd.sys driver in dos )
> >
> > and from dos i did:
> > dir d: ; this only spins drive ( drive d is cdrom )
> > c:\linux\loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro vga=3
> >
> > and it booted in linux-2.1.132 fine and it works great under linux
>
> In other words the DOS driver contains some workarounds for the faults with
> the drive. Given running that first then booting Linux works, it would be
> a reasonable guess from your previous observations that this driver fakes a CD
> change or similar to fix the drive problem.

This is the second drive that has been reported to have this abnormal
behavior. I'll be back in a couple of days and see if we can't get a
decent workaround for this hardware bug.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer