Re: core files (was Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts)

Simon Ekstrand (simius@algonet.se)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:50:36 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> > > There is nothing more irritating than trying to run a compiler
> > > regression testsuite on a system that pops up a debugger dialog
> > > when a program crashes.
> >
> > So use a debugger that just logs the error.
> > Other people could certainly use a bit more
> > ease-of-use than a dumb core file.
>
> It would be nice if a program could ask the kernel to run another task to
> handle it's crash. X apps could have a nice little applet that pops up a
> windows like info box that logs all the pertinate info, and gives the
> users the option to save a core, email a bug report, open up ddd on the
> process, etc..

Well if someone could please give me some pointers as to how you
actually ask the kernel to "run another task" ie. exec a file.
I would be more than happy to try to incorperate this into my
corename patch.
Remember that I'm fairly new to kernel programming..

-Simon Ekstrand (simius@algonet.se)