Re: 663.55 BogoMips on an AMD K6-2 / 333MHz

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:00:39 +0100

On Thu, Dec 24, 1998 at 02:08:50PM +0100, Marnix Coppens wrote:

> The BogoMips for an AMK K6 are twice the speed in MHz.
> My K6 200MHz reports a BogoMips of 400.59.

... which tells you that the AMD engineers did a good job optimizing their
branch prediction code for (such tiny) loops. Reminds me of the old story of
the loop machine insn being much slower on recent intel CPUs than decl ecx;
jnz/jns; (This was a deliberate decision by intel not shared by AMD and
Cyrix.)

However, don't confuse this with benchmark results, which again should not
be confused with real life performance.

--
Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de>                           [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing              [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]