[OFFTOPIC] Licensing and GPL

Charles Cazabon (charlesc-linux@qcc.sk.ca)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:57:44 -0600

Zack Brown <zbrown@lynx.neu.edu> wrote:
> If Richard Stallman gets mad at the linux community for not using the term
> gnu/linux and decides to release a new version of the GPL that undoes its
> current meaning (and e.g. allows proprietary forking etc), thus affecting
> all programs currently licenced under the GPL, what could anyone do about
> that? And please don't say, "oh, he would *never* do something like that."
[...]
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> (at your option) any later version.

However, one of the terms of the license is that as an author, you can specify
which version of the license you want to apply. It is only in the case where
you do not specify a version that the recipient can choose which version to use.
If, in your code, you specify that it can be used only under version 2 of the
GPL, then any hypothetical changes made to future versions of the license
would not affect your code.

So it doesn't matter whether he would 'do something like that'. It's
irrelevant.

Charles Cazabon