Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:58:19 -0500

In message <m0zv5Gb-0007U2C@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:

> > > AFAIR that statement is recommended to append to your program's
> > > source and/or display. If you say "This program is GPL version 2
> > > period" I believe it is then GPL 2 period, regardless of wether a
> > > 3 comes out. Richard, do you care to clarify this?
> >
> > I don't even see how this can be legal. As far as I know no contract
> > or license can make you agree to something that has not yet been
> > written.
>
> Yawn . Read the entire document carefully before making statements. Its quite
> clear about when it applies and you having the right to opt out.

I have read it, and I still think it is at least inconsistent.

Also, I was commenting on the idea that a new license can be applied
to without the owner's consent. I don't think that is legal.
If the GPL does that, it can't be legal. If it doesn't, then fine.

It's not totally clear or people would not argue about it so much.
I've talked to people after they read it, and they aren't sure
about it.

In some ways, I wish it would get tested in court just to see how
things go.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com/~shendrix/myresume.html