Re: 2.1.131 size limitations.

Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:05:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 03:24:10PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > It appears as though mke2fs will not allow operation on a partition
> > that exceeds about 3++ gigabytes. It errors out with "illegal
> > request" messages.
>
> old e2fsprogs and/or old libc

Well I thought I had the latest. I will check it out. The libc is
glibc-2.0.6. There is a newer version, but it failed to compile using
gcc-2.7.2.

I guess I will have to unstall another compiler, but the egs thingy
breaks a lot of code as you can see from the mailing list.

> (llseek was broken once opon a time, so over 2GB things broke)

> > It also appears as though mkswap will not allow a swap partition in
> > excess of about 128 megabytes.
>
> swap file limitation use more than one swap file or sct's new `big
> swap files patch'

I think having a swap-file that is smaller than physical RAM negates
the true value of a swap-file. It's probably time for the kernel and
tools to allow a swap-file that is at least as large as the RAM that
can be addressed (real, not virtual).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).