Re: 2.2.0pre1 OOPS on boot. (Linus Torvalds)

Trever Adams (highlander@teleteam.net)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:45:23 -0600

> In article <368874C0.10A18612@bleh.org>, <nads@bleh.org> wrote:
> >
> >I also have a cyrix (686/200, not MediaGX) and I recompiled without SMP (I
> >didn't even have SMP in 2.1.132, i guess the patch enabled it by default
> >again) I still experienced an oops.
>
> Recompile the kernel as a i486.
>
> It seems that the Cyrix chips do not do "rdtsc", even when they call
> themselves 686's.

Not all Cyrix chips are that way. I can say that the Cyrix MII 300s
have a working rdtsc (minus the rest to 0 problems that are already
known and handled). I have one acting as an email server (running
several other internal services... some of which are "high load") and a
development machine, which for the time being has an even higher load.
If you kill the rdtsc in the MediaGX or some of the other early Cyrix
6z86 please don't go overboard and kill it for all Cyrix.

Trever