Re: 2.2.0 Bug summary (ISDN)

Paul Slootman (paul@wau.mis.ah.nl)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:51:49 +0100

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.981230103951.6194B-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>
Linus wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 02:04:26PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> > It's not going to happen for 2.2.0.
>>
>> 2.2.1?
>
>Yes, or whenever the ISDN people can get bothered to actually do something
>about it. It's out of my hands.

Well, at the time of the preliminary code freeze (remember? that was
back in July, with 2.1.109) you wrote:

> As of this release, I won't be looking at the "incoming" directory at the
> linux-patches site any more. I'll only be looking at "urgent" things, on
> the theory that I'm (a) lazy and (b) getting into code freeze.

At *that* time, the ISDN code was in a state of flux, and not really
usable. It would have been silly to put the CVS code into 2.1 at that
time (there was some heated discussion about this on the i4ldeveloper
mailing list).

So, the decision was made *not* to send a patch of the ISDN stuff at the
time, and as you had announced a code freeze, we didn't really expect
that we would have any chance of getting the ISDN stuff in at a later
point. Maybe you retracted the code freeze at some time; sorry, I don't
have time to read *all* the stuff that goes over linux-kernel.

Now the code has been certified for a couple of cards (meaning you can
actually legally use it in EU countries!), and mostly works fine (there
are a couple of nits with MPPP and voice). At the least it's much better
than the code in 2.2.0-pre.

Note that I'm speaking for myself here. The main ISDN developers are off
having a vacation or something, which I understand they needed badly,
having been working hard in Real Life. Anyway, IMO the CVS code is
ready for prime time as I use it myself.

I'd be happy to take the CVS code and make a patch of it to send to the
Master, if someone can tell me what the preferred format of such a patch
is...

Paul Slootman

--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org