Re: Samsung VG34323A UDMA problems - 2.2.0pre1

Richard Fish (rjf@estinc.com)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:37:16 -0700

Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Nextmost likely is poor quality IDE cable, or too-long cable. UDMA specs a
> shorter maximum cable length than plain old vanilla IDE. I can't remember
> the maximum allowed length off the top of my head, but in the shops I've
> worked at, we tried to limit IDE cable runs to 18 inches for UDMA drives.

For our Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm drives, 18-inch cables will corrupt
the filesystem. The longest cable I've been able to use successfully
with these is a 14-inch.

--
Richard Fish                      Enhanced Software Technologies, Inc.
Software Developer                4014 E Broadway Rd Suite 405