Re: core files

Todd Larason (jtl@molehill.org)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:05:17 -0800

On 981230, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> You could do a lot of *this* in user space by having a library function
> set the default value for all signals, or just SIGSEGV, to a function
> that uses some kind of IPC, such as writing to a fifo whose name includes
> the uid. I wonder if it's possible to use preloading to inject that
> snippet of code into an existing executable without relinking it and
> without touching libc.

Yes. The only hard part I see is getting the executable filename.
core.c:

---
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void init_libcore(void) __attribute__((constructor));

void sighandler(int signo) { struct { int signo; pid_t pid; } s; int fd;

s.signo = signo; s.pid = getpid(); fd = open(getenv("SIG_FIFO"), O_WRONLY); write(fd, &s, sizeof s); close(fd); pause(); }

void init_libcore(void) { struct sigaction act;

act.sa_handler = sighandler; sigfillset(&act.sa_mask); act.sa_flags = SA_RESETHAND; sigaction(SIGSEGV, &act, NULL); } ----- % gcc -fPIC -o core.o -c core.c % gcc -shared -o core.so core.o % LD_PRELOAD=./core SIG_FIFO=$HOME/.crash_handler_fifo bash

A program to listen to the fifo should be straightforward.

--
ICQ UIN: 56155810