Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

T Taneli Vahakangas (vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 02:53:22 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If you hear strange jitter when playing music with ALSA and are using the
> > combination of matroxfb and XFree86, just try to get rid of matroxfb (it
> > worked for me, I have a Mystique 220)
> >
> > Anyone else have/had this problem? Or wants to know more -- my address is
> > below.
>
> You cannot and should not mix XFree86 servers (except the frame buffer
> console server) with the kernel frame buffer driver. Period.
>
> Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes strange things occur.
> It is not a supported combination. Both X and the kernel wish to be the sole
> owner of the video driver unless you use the X fbcon server

Ok. But it sounds stupid.

Maybe matroxfb should be fixed to work better with XFree -- after all
plain text console and 2.1.127 version of matroxfb work perfectly for my
purposes. Maybe I should take a look at matroxfb diffs and try to do it
myself ... or is this something not easily accomplished?

Happy new year!

Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>