Re: good 2.1.x SMP kernel is? [possible smoking gun?]

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 03:52:35 +0000 ( )

It is very possible that your crashes are a result of swap < ram.

One of my friends has the same problem on 2.0.34. Being new to Linux/UNIX,
he partitioned with 15 megabytes of swap on his 32 megabyte machine.
Within an hour or so, the machine would crash. I helped him turn off swap
permanently and it has been stable for the past week.

X Windows is a good stress test. X+GNOME+WM+Netscape amounted to so much
bloat that thats what usually crashed the machine. Open a few million
netscape proceses, and a few gimps or whatever until it crashes or no more
processes will start due to lack of memory. If you get into a low memory
situation, start browsing in one of the netscapes. Make sure it has a
large RAM cache size :).