Re: ad1848.c problem in 2.2.0-pre

Scott Murray (scottm@interlog.com)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 02:26:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Andrew Kieschnick wrote:

> The changes to ad1848_detect made between 2.1.132 and 2.2.0-pre1 seem to
> have broken things for me. What was previously detected as a CS4231 gets
> detected as a CS4248, and some of the mixer settings are missing. I'm
> going to try and fix it, but I thought someone else might have already
> done it.

I noticed some messages in my syslog like this:

Dec 31 04:07:31 scottm kernel: ad1848.c: Can't allocate DMA3

but everything still seemed to work last night when I was testing (see
below).

> Soundcard is an opl3sa-something, which the newer opl3sa2.c doesn't like,
> as it reports id=7. Currently I've hacked opl3sa2.c to think its an
> opl3sax, and it seems to work. After I figure out what it really is I'll
> send a patch.

I sent a patch for this to Alan last night that makes the chipset detection
more forgiving towards Yamaha's apparent freedom with the version numbers.
Also included was a last resort option to make the driver ignore the version
number and act like either a SA2 or SA3/x. As well, I did some cleanup on
the driver's mixer ioctl code, which was needed to get newer versions of
aumix to work.

Happy New Year!,

Scott