Re: scary ext2 filesystem question

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
02 Jan 1999 06:25:35 +0100

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> Zlatko Calusic <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr> wrote:
> > It's tedious job after that, to go and delete those unwanted zeroes
> > from the files, and I would be much happier if FS would indeed behave
> > like you're saying (lose here and there, but do NOT corrupt data).
>
> It needn't be tedious:
>
> perl -ni -e 'print unless /\0/' filenames...
>
> [This assumes that no null characters should show up in those files].

I found your oneliner very useful, but still have to say that the most
tedious part is not modifying files, but writing down all reported
inode numbers (from fsck pass). If you have lots of disk space, fsck
can take some time, and you're spending that time watching the screen,
writing inode numers in a hurry, so you can check later if any major
corruption happened.

When in fact, fsck should tell you to go and get some coffee in a
local pub, if it starts running on any FS bigger than GB or two. :)

--
Zlatko