Re: [patch] new-vm improvement [Re: 2.2.0 Bug summary]

Steve Bergman (steve@netplus.net)
Sat, 02 Jan 1999 14:04:28 -0600

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Would you care to do some more testing? In particular, I'd like to hear
> how basic 2.2.0pre3 works (that's essentially the same as test1-pre, with
> only minor updates)? I'd like to calibrate the numbers against that,
> rather than against kernels that I haven't actually ever run myself.

I've done some more testing, this time including the low memory case.
For low memory testing I built the dhcp server from SRPM in 8MB with X,
xdm, various daemons (sendmail, named, inetd, etc.), and vmstat 1
running. Swap area stayed at about 8MB usage. I have also run the
128MB tests some more and have slightly more accurate results. Here is
the summary:

Kernel 128MB 8MB
------------ -------
------
2.1.131-ac11 172 sec 260
sec
test1-pre + Arcangeli's patch 119 sec 226
sec
2.2.0-pre3 175 sec 334
sec
2.2.0-pre3 + Linus's patch 129 sec 312