Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:27:10 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> The main difference between an accelerated frame buffer device based X server
> and a `classical' X server is that video mode programming and colormap
> updates are now handled by the kernel. The X server still has to take care of
> acceleration engine setup and accelerated operations. If there's a clean
> separation between these two functionalities (video mode programming vs.
> acceleration), this is a question of some `if (use_fbdev)' statements.

Yes, this is the kind of approach I was after. Not a new X server, but
rather a straightforward extension to existing ones.

The video mode programming issue is already black magic, and totally
separate from actually drawing stuff on the screen. I can't for the life
of me imagine that there would ever be an excuse to make a completely new
X server just because the mode programming changed.

That's like separating the S3 X server into ten different X servers
depending on which clock chip is on the board. That would just be silly
and stupid, wouldn't it? But it's really almost exactly the same issue:
the fact that the kernel handles mode switching could just be considered
"a software clock chip" kind of thing. No?

Linus