Re: TLB refill problems again?

Sun, 3 Jan 1999 05:41:11 +0000

On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 07:54:03AM +1100, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:
> > The TLB reloads on x86 are hardware and relatively cheap. Its much more
> > likely your problem is cache related than TLB related.
>
> But how? When using the mmap()ed data, it should always have the same
> alignment (file starts on a page boundary and volume data starts on a
> 64 byte boundary).

I've seen about 5% variability in compile times, and various simple
tests that use a "medium" amount of memory, on various x86 systems over
the years. Often there are two peaks on the time graph -- n seconds,
and n-5% seconds.

Once a program has started "slow", it stays slow while it runs.

This is really unfortunate for games, because I've written games & demos
where the framerate is sometimes 5% lower than expected, and the
framerate stays consistently lower.

I've always assumed it was L2 cache issues or similar. I don't know if
there's a practical way to fix the problem, or if modern chipsets don't
have this problem.

-- Jamie