Re: exception in a device driver

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:09:56 +0300 (MSK)

In <m0zwhUq-0007U2C@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
>> I'm porting an existing device driver from WinNT to Linux.
>> The device driver uses try/catch/throw extensivly.
>>
>> Is anything like that supported under Linux?
>>
>> If I use .cpp files and "try { } catch { }", then I get
>> "unresolved symbol __throw" when I try to load the module.

> Thats likely to get very very hairy to try and support. Getting rid of
> the catch stuff for conventional error handling is probably a good move

It's not exactly clear what is more "right" thing to do: add support for
C++ try/catch/throw in kernel or to remove try/catch/throw from driver but
yes, adding try/catch/throw support in kernel is not trivial. Since sources
of libgcc are available in sources of egcs (hint, hint) it's doable but I'm
not sure which solution is more "right"...