Re: 'make menuconfig' crash in 2.2.0-pre*

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:27:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Peter.

I've copied this to Michael for reference...

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Peter Hicks wrote:

> Further to the problem I was having with selecting options from the
> NFS menu a couple of days ago, Luca Montecchiani claimed a similar
> problem on the 'Mice' menu.

> It turns out that, whilst you can select the 'Network File Systems'
> submenu using the spacebar, scrolling down that screen produces a
> load of output from what looks like .config, then falls over very
> quickly.

> This also happens on the 'Partition Types' menu, and on the
> 'Additional low-level drivers' from the Sound menu. It doesn't seem
> to happen on the 'SCSI low-level drivers' menu though.

> Interesting bug, and very reproducable :-)

I have to query whether you've managed to get yourself a corrupted
source tree since I've been in all of those config areas on 2.2.0.pre1
through 2.2.0.pre3 and haven't seen anything resembling what you refer
to. Could you please check that?

Alternatively, as there appear to be several reports of various things
that appear to have a similar cause, is this a case of using an
incorrect patch sequence from whatever base kernel you started with,
or of patching a modified kernel rather than the raw one?

In my case, I downloaded the raw 2.2.0.pre1 kernel as a bz2 tarball,
and have patched up from it via pre2 and pre3 to date. I'll be
downloading the pre4 patch shortly, and applying it to my tree, so
will report any changes therein...

Best wishes from Riley.

---
 * ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
 * http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html