53c7,8xx vs ncr53c8xx (was Re: error in 53c7,8xx)

Chris Chiappa (griffon@snurgle.org)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 11:14:04 -0500

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 02:11:33AM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> I found a statement in "53c7,8xx.c" that this is a known bug, and that
> additional printk's were added for further diagnosis.
> P.S.: I've switched to the ncr53c8xx driver, and that driver runs without
> any problems.
Given that there seem to be *very* few people better served by the 53c7,8xx
as opposed to the ncr53c8xx driver and given that the 53c7,8xx driver
doesn't even seem to be maintained any more (the URL in the .c is incorrect
and deducing the correct one shows the last "Development version" as being
released a little over 3 years ago) perhaps it makes sense to move the
ncr53c8xx driver above the 53c7,8xx driver when doing a 'make config' ? Or
perhaps putting some sort of warning on 53c7,8xx that you can see without
hitting ? would be acceptable. Comments? I suggested this on linux-scsi a
few months ago and didn't get any responses.

And thanks of course to Gerard Roudier of course for maintaining the
excellent ncr53c8xx driver.

--

+------- --- -- -- - | griffon@snurgle.N0-SPAM.org / My opinions represent snurgle.org : ! Unspoilt by progress / http://www.snurgle.org/~griffon | - -- -- --- -------+