Re: short display with 2.1.132-ac3, matroxfb and XF86_SVGA 3.3.3

Dirk H Hohndel (hohndel@suse.de)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 05:35:16 +0100 (MET)

On 3 Jan 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Linus> XF86_FBDev is something that should be considered at most to be
> Linus> a "least common denominator" kind of thing, the way XF86_VGA16
> Linus> is for people who have cards that don't have any real server
> Linus> for them. It should be recognized as being just a stopgap
> Linus> measure for when there isn't a native driver available.
>
> This is wrong, what needs to be done is to make the FBDev server
> acceleration aware for all the other cards. In fact I think it
> shouldn't be all that hard to merge the SVGA acceleration modules into
> the FBDev server - all it takes is someone with the interest, hardware
> and time to do it.

Sorry, this is the wrong direction. Don't start to manage two copies of
the same code.

> FBDev is designed to do things the right way, ie. use acceleration
> when it is available (in user space of course!) or just run
> non-accelerated when no acceleration is available. It is very similar
> to the concept of the SVGA server I'd say except for letting the
> kernel deal with mode-switching.

And therefore the standard XFree86 server (as of 4.0) should be made fbdev
aware. Don't try to move all the 3.x acceleration stuff into yet another
server. That's a waste of time...

Dirk