Re: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.net)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 00:08:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <199901030911.BAA21014@bitmover.com> Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com) wrote:
>
> > Such as? The only substantial chunk is gcc and that isn't part of the
> > operating system.
>
> Such as Libc. I'm NEVER seen ANY Linux distribution without some form of libc.
> ALL libc's for Linux are derived from GNU Libc (1 or 2)... For Linux
> developers libc is somewhat even more important then kernel.
(...)
> Libc, derived from GNU Libc (be it libc4, libc5 or glibc2) is
> inevitable in Linux world...

Unless you want to use the Berkeley libc, which is unencumbered and perfectly
suitable for use under Linux.

> > Yeah, right. Have you actually tried this for any real application?
> > Sure, it's true for simple stuff but it is far from true for anything
> > real.
>
> Yes, there ARE differences between glibc-based Hurd and glibc-based Linux
> (thus GNU/Linux, not just GNU :-), but glibc-based Linux is close to
> glibc-based Hurd then to libc5-based Linux (from application developer
> viewpoint that is).

With the slight exception that both Linuxes are useful systems.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX a popular platform on PCs. It's almost too late now." -- Steve Balmer "It is too late." -- Bill Gates _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82