Re: [linux-audio-dev] ISA Plug & Play support in kernel

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:32:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, David Howells wrote:

> >>What about P-n-P: this is DEFINITELY not kernel task. This is belond to
> >>userspace. If current version of tools is not clear -- change tools. Do not
> >>pullute kernel with such crap as P-n-P ...
> >
> > Nonsense; operating systems are supposed to manage resources. Card
> > interfaces are resources.
>
> I have to agree with the later camp there... The issue is one for the kernel,
> and should link into device-driver management and first-order resource
> management (I/O, IRQ, DMA, Memory); and maybe also second-order resource
> management (SCSI devices, parallel port devices) in which the first order
> driver exports an interface to another driver.

What's the problem with the following approach:

pnpdump -c > /etc/isapnp.conf
isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
script.that.parses./etc/isapnp.conf.and.sets.module_parms.in./etc/modules.conf

which is what I do for my soundcard.

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK