Re: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.net)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:47:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> there are also bash, shellutils, fileutils, findutils, textutils,
> gnu m4, gnu make, gnu awk, and gnu sed that i can think of off the top
> of my head.
>
> these tools constitute the bulk of a basic unix system (a unix system
> may have more tools than these, but they won't/shouldn't have any less),
> and they're all FSF/GNU programs developed as part of the GNU system...

You know, the Berkeley people never would have insisted that we call it
Berkeley Linux if we had used their versions of all of these tools. In
retrospect, I wonder if it wasn't a mistake not to have done so.

Regardless, this is not a kernel issue; it should be taken elsewhere.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX a popular platform on PCs. It's almost too late now." -- Steve Balmer "It is too late." -- Bill Gates _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82