Re: Persistent sound hangs (2.0.0 - 2.2.0pre4 tested)

Edward Schlunder (kernel@venus.ajusd.org)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:37:10 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Erik Inge Bolso wrote:

> The computer randomly hangs solid when it completes playing a sound file,
> probably when releasing the sound device. The only thing I can do when
> this occurs is cycle the power or press the reset button. (This happens in
> all OS's I've tried as well, Linux/MS-DOS/several windoze versions - so
> probably a hardware problem)

Yes, could be, especially if you have problems with the 2.0.x
kernels as well (which work fine for me on my VIA VP3 chipset
motherboard, other than Red Hat 2.0.36 RPM).

> Old Hyundai ISA-only 486 mainboard, w/VIA VT82C480 chipset...
> (this machine was low-end when I bought it in '94 :-)
>
> SoundBlaster 16 Value (firmware 4.11) at
> IO - 0x220, IRQ - 7, DMA - 1, DMA16bit - 5
>
> Alan? I recently saw you saying something on the list to a guy who seemed
> to have the same problem... suggestions? Maybe VIA has been buggy for a
> longer time than we thought?

Like I said, I have a VIA VP3 chipset motherboard (AMD K6-166 CPU)
and am having lockups at the end of playing sounds with recent kernels as
well. 2.1.131-ac10 works fine for me when I apply a minor patch to
drivers/sound/ad1848.c to if(!isa_dma_buggy) around two instances of
disable_dma/enable_dma pairs (this got included into ac11 and subsequent
kernels). However, this would not affect your sound Blaster since it does
not use the ad1848 code. Could you try kernel 2.1.131-ac10 on your system
and see if the sound behaves?

I think something else got included into 2.1.131-ac11 that broke
VIA sound playing again, but I have not verified that it started
specifically at ac11 because of my problems with the tulip driver that I
started playing with after ac10. I will check soon.

--
Ed Schlunder <kernel@venus.ajusd.org>