Re: tmp on swap

D. Feuer (dfeuer@mail.his.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:27:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Matthew Hannigan wrote:

> You write, in the linux-kernel mailing list
>
> > Is this basically a ramdisk that swaps? I like it.......
> > 'twould stop over-use of /tmp by developers who like to put
> > things in the wrong places.....
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't stop it, it makes things worse.
>
> The more stuff you put in /tmp the less free mem you have.
>
> We have had idiots (DBAs :-) put database backups in /tmp
> and then wonder why the machine stops half ways through.
>
> A bunch of 3rd party developers did their development
> in /tmp, crashed the machine, and then had the hide to
> complain that all their work wasnt saved through the
> reboot.
>
> I've even had some unix admins do downloads from the internet
> to /tmp :-(
>
> And every badly written app that leaves droppings in /tmp
> means that over weeks the machine gets slower and slower.
>
> Not that tmp on swap is a bad idea in itself. It's just
> that it requires more vigilance on the admin's part, or
> a better class of app.
>
> --
> -Matt

/tmp would not necessarily be an fs on a ramdisk which was swapped. The
layering could be a bit different to avoid some issues. Basically, it
could be a normal filesystem with buffers that are not synced on any
guaranteed basis (except at shutdown for those nasty programs...). If
memory gets tight, buffers are flushed to disk. At least, this is how it
seems to me.... I think.... I am not an expert.....

David Feuer
dfeuer@his.com